Lot 244 - 1934 Hillman Aero-Minx Streamline Two Seat Tourer

Lot 244 - 1934 Hillman Aero-Minx Streamline Two Seat Tourer

Lot 244 - 1934 Hillman Aero-Minx Streamline Two Seat Tourer

Lot Number 244
Registration FA5825
Chassis Number AM19055
Engine Number AM19057
Odometer reading 1,414 miles
Estimate £24,000 - £29,000
Result Sold - £25,025

The Hillman Motor Car Company was founded in 1907 by William Hillman with the Breton, Louis Hervé Coatalen, as designer and chief engineer. The Company was based in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, near Coventry. Before 1907 the company had built bicycles. In 1932 Hillman built the first car to carry the Minx name; it  had an 1185cc four-cylinder engine and went through a series of updates in body style and construction until the end of the Second World War. At this time Hillman were Britain's fourth largest manufacture of motor vehicles and until 1932 were exclusively a builder of family saloons. In 1932 they announced the Aero Minx 2/3 seater Streamline Saloon, designed by Lord 'Freddie' March, and the body manufacture contracted to Carbodies of Coventry.  This pretty little coupé was built from 1933 to 1935 and become the style setter for many of the 'airline' cars that followed. The Aero-Minx Streamline Saloon, as it was known, was the first production car from an established manufacturer to show the distinctive styling that we now attribute to the Art Deco genre. A number of body styling companies started to design two seater dropheads which included Kevill-Davis & March, (Lord March).  In its time, the two seater tourer was considered to be a grand performer and was lavishly equipped relative to its price. Although not fast as sports cars go, it gained a reputation for reliability and was capable of good average speeds owing to its excellent road manners and comfort.

This Hillman Aero-Minx is believed to be one of six in the Streamline design and one of the prettiest open two seaters ever built; the fully disappearing hood with storage for the weather equipment gives this car an elegant flowing line from the cockpit to the rear. Until recently, the car has been in the same ownership since 1995 when it was restored and issued with a new V5 by the DVLA with the original registration number.  After the restoration the car was regularly used, including several times on the Michael Sedgwick Run. Unfortunately prior to 1995 there is little known about the car. Supplied with V5C registration document, this is an ideal opportunity to purchase what is known as one of the most attractive and important motor cars from the Art Deco period.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.

Web design & build by Edgebound