Lot 276 - 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300D ‘Adenauer’

Lot 276 - 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300D ‘Adenauer’

Lot 276 - 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300D ‘Adenauer’

Lot Number 276
Registration HIW836
Chassis Number 30008500158
Engine Number TBC
Odometer reading 86,000 miles
Estimate £33,000 - £40,000

The Mercedes-Benz Type 300 was the company's largest and most-prestigious models throughout the 1950s. The Type 300 cars were elegant, exclusive and expensive. The 300 models were touring cars, often referred to as Adenauer's after Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, in office from 1949 to 1963; he employed six different versions during his tenure. These large saloons and four-door cabriolets featured many luxury features. Options such as Becker radio, VHF mobile telephone, and dictation machine were geared to the business man and politician.  Introduced in August 1957, the 300D was the linear successor to the 300C, with a longer wheelbase, fuel injection, and unique hardtop configuration transforming it into a pillarless phaeton. The additional 4 inches of wheelbase provided greater rear legroom and established the car as a true limousine in direct competition with the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud. Removable rear quarter lights allowed an unobstructed view in and out from the front vent window on back, much valued in the model's popular role as 'parade car'. Employing a slightly detuned version of the 300SL sports car's Bosch fuel injected engine, the 300D produced 180hp at 5500rpm with automatic transmission as standard. Power brakes, power steering, and Artic-Kar air-conditioning were added as options. A total of only 3,077 300D models were produced through March 1962 and was ultimately replaced as the Mercedes-Benz flagship by the 600 Pullman.

This 1958 'Adenauer' saloon is finished in silver over maroon, with its cream leather interior also piped in maroon. The car has reportedly has only covered 86,000 miles from new, verified by many old MoT test certificates. The car has matching numbers and is also fitted with the very desirable power steering and central lubrication system. The car is supplied with a history file, original owner's handbook and still retains its original Becker Mexico radio. In its early days the car was registered to a lawyer from Tampa, Florida and there is some correspondence in the history between him and the local Mercedes-Benz dealership in the early seventies. It remained in the United States until 1989 when it was shipped over to the UK and underwent some restoration work in the early nineties.  The car is supplied with a V5C registration document and a MoT certificate valid until July 2012. This 'Adenauer' is described by the vendor as being in excellent condition throughout and represents a magnificent example of the Mercedes-Benz luxury flagship of the late 1950's.

Believed to be one of only six in the United Kingdom this rare car is being offered again by the new owner due to the perfectly symbiotic location of this sale.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.

Web design & build by Edgebound