Lot 269 - 1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT 4th series
|Chassis Number||B20 3062|
|Engine Number||B20 3581|
|Odometer reading||37,278 miles|
|Estimate||£55,000 - £65,000|
|Result||Sold - £61,600|
The Lancia Aurelia was first introduced at the Turin Motor Show of 1950. This innovative automotive creation included a narrow 60 degree all alloy V6 engine (being the first production V6 car) that ranged from 1.8 litres to 2.5 litres over the life of the models' six series. Drive was through the rear mounted transaxle that incorporated the gearbox, clutch, differential and inboard mounted drum brakes to reduce un-sprung weight. The sliding pillar front suspension was complemented at the rear by semi trailing arms. Come the 4th series and those trailing arms were replaced by a de Dion tube and the engine's white metal bearings replaced with shell bearings. Most Lancia motor cars up until 1955 were manufactured at the factory in right hand drive form; the series 4 cars started to see the addition of left hand drive as these were the first cars to be imported into America in significant numbers. Clothed with a lightweight coupé body it not only gave the Aurelia GT sports car performance but saloon car practicality also. It soon became apparent that, with the fine chassis design and a smooth V6 power plant, the car lent itself for competition use with many period competition successes such as Le Mans, the Targa Florio, Mille Miglia, and Monte Carlo Rally. This still holds true today with many B20s being used in club and prestigious historic events. Mike Hawthorn took delivery of a series 4 Aurelia B20 GT in 1954 that was modified with floor mounted shift, wood/alloy steering wheel with further upgrades to the engine and exhaust. That car, WPD 10 is still in existence today.
Presented today is a rare chance to enter Aurelia B20 ownership with this 4th series 2.5 litre Aurelia B20 GT. It is believed that this right hand drive example was first imported into the United Kingdom in around 1961/2 and first registered in the UK on the 8th May 1962. The car is being offered from a Lancia collection from Scotland. Originally the coachwork was maroon in colour but was not to the current owner's taste hence, the car has undergone a colour change to British Racing Green. The colour is but a small part of this interesting motor car; the thinking being geared more importantly towards a car that goes and drives. At this point you will be interested to note that the engine was rebuilt less than 1500 miles ago; a major piece of work on these motor cars. In addition further works include; a recent clutch, service, new distributor, headlamps, brake linings, exhaust, tyres, petrol pump, drive shaft gaiters and the Weber carburettors have been overhauled by the well known Lancia specialist, Peter Harding. Further works include overhauled front suspension, new carpets and the seats re-trimmed in leather by the Lancia specialist trimmer, Brian Cates.
No doubt the most interesting and desirable aspects of this fine motor car are the additional features of the Nardi floor change conversion as well as the Nardi engine upgrade with converted carburettor and manifold. In fact, there is also what is believed to be a Nardi steering wheel that accompanies the car. Another feature worth noting is the Cyclops headlamp within the front grill which is believed to be an original factory fitted item. A replacement lamp has been fitted but the original is available although sadly without the glass. Notice also the Carrello lights and large Veglia instruments as well as an owner's maintenance manual with the car. The radiator shroud, operated thermostatically, is currently not fitted but does come with the car. The vendor is aware that original works and racing Aurelia's had centrally fitted lights to their grills; it is currently not known if this car ever was a works car or was entered into any type of competition as records are somewhat scant at Lancia when enquiries were made. A comprehensive history file of this vehicle is available for inspection.
With Aurelia prices heading upward in recent years, here is a chance to own an Aurelia at a realistic price. With an MoT certificate valid until the 21st July 2012 and historic road fund licence it is amazing to know that to aid buyer confidence, the vendor has stated that this Lancia is to be driven 500 miles to the sale! So, whatever you want from an Aurelia, whether competition work or Sunday afternoon drives, you couldn't do much better than this piece of usable automotive sculpture which is able to be driven from the sale straight away. Whatever your wishes, this is a rare opportunity.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.