Lot 319 - 1974 MG MGB GT V8

Lot 319 - 1974 MG MGB GT V8

Lot 319 - 1974 MG MGB GT V8

Lot Number 319
Registration GKW 177N
Chassis Number GD2D1/1463-G
Engine Number 4860-1370
Odometer reading 99,600 miles
Estimate £5,000 - £8,000
Result Sold - £7,560

The MGB was first introduced in May 1962 as a direct replacement for the MGA.  Performance was brisk with power supplied by a 1798 cc four cylinder iron block engine set within a monocoque lightweight body shell with crumple zones incorporated. October 1965 saw the introduction of the GT and was based on the already popular roadster.  Designed by Pinninfarina, the new GT sported a hatchback giving useful access to the rear luggage space and a rear bench seat that enabled the car to be called a 2+2. Although acceleration was slightly slower than the roadster, top speed was better by 5mph due to the increased aerodynamic efficiency.  Ken Costello saw the possibility of fitting the larger aluminium 3528cc Rover P5B engine into the MGB GT having been sure that the handling and braking could be made to match the much improved performance; not that it needed significant changes as the V8 weighed in at around 40 pounds lighter that the four cylinder iron blocked engine it replaced.  Space was not a problem as the car had originally been designed for fitment of a V4 that was never produced.  It was not until two years after the first Costello car that MG decided to follow suit.  It was 1973 and the fuel crisis loomed; with British Leyland not wanting competition for the V8 engined Triumph Stag, prices of the MGB GT V8 were set high. Production ceased in 1976 with 2591 units having being produced.

On offer today is a factory produced GT V8.  It is not often that a car is discovered with a history from new but also that is found to be currently still in daily use.  The owner of this MGB GT V8 presented today purchased the MG over 11 years ago and keeps the car garaged whilst not in use.  To enable reliable running the car has not wanted for anything especially in respect of the mechanical maintenance during the current ownership as the comprehensive history file shows.

The Heritage Certificate supplied confirms the car having been despatched from Abingdon on the 13th March 1974 and first registered on the 2nd February 1975.  Approximately 15 years ago a restoration was undertaken as can be confirmed by the history file and photographic record.    She is currently presented with Brooklands Green coachwork with excellent fitting door shut lines and gaps; a big plus point on these models.  The interior is finished in black with the benefit of leather seats that display a nicely patinated finish.  Whilst viewing you may note that she is fitted with the desirable manual overdrive gearbox, Mota-Lita steering wheel, MG Owners Club supplied after market alloy wheels, FM tuned period Motorola radio and Webasto sliding sun roof.  The car currently has a MoT certificate until the 22nd August 2012 and road fund licence until the end of July 2012 so you may enjoy the sound and power of the V8 immediately.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.

Web design London Edgebound