Lot 378 - 1937 Rolls-Royce 25/30 D Back Limousine
|Odometer reading||84,000 miles|
|Estimate||£27,000 - £35,000|
|Result||Sold - £29,120|
The Rolls-Royce 25/30 built between 1936 and 1938 is an updated version of the 20/25 with larger engine to provide more power for the over-large bodies had been fitted to the earlier model leading to complaints about its performance. The in-line six cylinder, overhead valve, engine is similar to that used in the 20/25 but increased in capacity to 4,257cc. A single proprietary Stromberg downdraught carburetor replaced the Rolls-Royce one and magneto ignition was no longer fitted but a spare ignition coil was provided. The riveted chassis has rigid front and rear axles suspended by half elliptic springs with hydraulic dampers. Braking is on all four wheels assisted by a mechanical servo with separate rear brakes are fitted for the handbrake. The traditional Rolls-Royce radiator with vertical louvres, the angle of which is controlled thermostatically to control engine cooling. Only the chassis and mechanical parts were made by Rolls-Royce. The body was then made and fitted by a coachbuilder selected by the owner.
As far back as the 1880s, Thrupp & Maberly began its move from making horse-drawn carriages to car bodies. By the spring of 1897, Thrupp & Maberly held the British licence for the Duryea Motor Wagon. More commissions followed and the business grew, leading to large numbers of bodies for staff cars being made during World War I. After the war, Thrupp & Maberly produced a range of bespoke bodies for up-market British and European marques and in 1924, they moved to new premises in Cricklewood, London, but kept a showroom in North Audley Street which in 1925 was bought by the Rootes brothers. Thrupp & Maberly remained a prestige coachbuilder, concentrating on luxury bodies for Rolls-Royce, Daimler and Bentley automobiles and in 1929, they built the body for Sir Henry Segrave's land speed record car, the Golden Arrow.
Chassis GMP48 was sold on the 4th June, 1937 to Bennetts (Nottingham) Ltd, Cabinet Makers, who commissioned Thrupp & Maberly to build this every fetching 'D' Back Limousine which was completed and delivered in August 1937. By the end of 1938, the car had been sold to The Derby and Notts Power Co. The next part of the known history of this car is in 1988 when she was owned by David Ellis in the State of Washington USA, who then sold her at the end of 1989 marking her return to the United Kingdom via Los Angeles in 1990. Since its repatriation, this car has had only two owners, who both had it maintained to highest of standards by Rolls-Royce specialists, Ghost Motors and then by Royce Service & Engineering. In 2008 the car was subject to a major overhaul which included replacing the engine cylinder block and overhauling the cylinder head; also within the last four years this 25/30 has been repainted in Rolls-Royce White, retrimmed with beige cloth to the rear and black leather to the driver's compartment. All the interior woodwork has been re-polished. The car was given a full service in September 2011 by Royce Engineering and the vendor informs us that this car drives beautifully and is happy to cruise on motorways at 60mph. Supplied here with a V5C registration document, a MoT test certificate until 17th August 2012, copies of the original chassis cards and all the bills and MoT certificates from 1990. This remains an extremely usable and enjoyable pre-war car, ideally suited to country tours or club rallies.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.