Lot 36 - 1959 Lancia Aurelia B20 Coupé 6ª Series
|Odometer reading||98,603 miles|
|Estimate||£48,000 - £58,000|
The Lancia Aurelia is a car that was produced by the Italian manufacturer Lancia. Designed by Vittorio Jano, the Aurelia was launched in 1950 and production lasted until the summer of 1958.
The Aurelia used the first production V6 engine, a 60° design developed by Francesco de Virgilio who was, between 1943 and 1948 a Lancia engineer, and who worked under Jano. During production, capacity grew from 1.8Litre to 2.5Litre. Prototype engines used a bore and stroke of 68mm x 72mm for 1569cc; these were tested between 1946 and 1948. It was an all-alloy pushrod design with a single camshaft between the cylinder banks. A hemispherical combustion chamber and in-line valves were used. A single Solex or Weber carburettor completed the engine. Some uprated 1991 cc models were fitted with twin carburettors.
At the rear was an innovative combination transaxle with the gearbox, clutch, differential, and inboard-mounted drum brakes. The front suspension was a sliding pillar design, with rear semi-trailing arms replaced by a de Dion tube in the Fourth series.
The car offered here today is a later Sixth series car. As one of the last of the production cars this car benefits from the sought-after 2.5Litre V6 engine making this car a very comfortable tourer, and if one wished a capable historic rallye car too. The car comes complete with UK V5C registration certificate, and original Italian registration documents so if one chose, they could potentially re-register the car with its first Italian licence plate. The car was first registered to a Sr. Calageris in March 1959 and had two further Italian owners in December 1960 and April 1962 before being imported to the UK in May 1965.
This earlier restoration car was sympathetically restored some time ago, and has been more recently looked after by Peter Harding Classic Restorations of Hampshire and Tim Burrett Lancia specialist of Bicester, Oxon. In its current ownership for the past six years having been purchased from a prominent individual in Lancia circles, the only reason this car is now reluctantly offered for to the market is to direct funds toward a long-awaited Bentley 3 Litre restoration project the vendor has acquired.
MSK 730 is presented in very good all-round original condition throughout. Resplendent in striking Silver coachwork and complimenting Light Grey interior leather with blue trim, the cockpit boasts the Nardi aluminium and wood steering wheel with Lancia logo and matching wooden gear knob. Mechanically, after tripping the battery cut-off flag, the car starts first time courtesy of an electric fuel pump added in 2009, and the stainless steel exhaust emits a satisfying note. Even at idle, the gentle rumbling of the car is suggestive of the performance potential it has in the right hands. This model has a floor mounted gear change lever and twin choke carburettors, for which, Nardi claimed 130bhp. Further still, this example has Koni shock absorbers, and stainless steel brake hoses. The dynamo of the car was recently rebuilt by the vendors' son, an engineer by trade, and the tyres are fresh, having covered less than 1000 miles.
It is our considered opinion that not only is this car a beautiful example of a well crafted motorcar from the 1950's, but also a sound investment as these understated motor cars continue to attract wide attention. MSK 730 has current MoT test certificate meaning the successful bidder, subject to insurance, can drive her away from the auction.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.